If you’ve been thinking about buying a fifth wheel but just aren’t sure if it’s right for you, take the following the quiz:
- Do you want more living space? Fifth wheels hitch over the rear axle of a truck rather than at the rear bumper so you have much more space than you would with a travel trailer. The Grand Design Solitude line is a great example of how the additional space is used to provide comfort and luxury.
- Do you already own a truck? If so, you’re in good shape to tow a fifth wheel. Just make sure to check your truck’s towing capacity so you can choose a fifth wheel your truck can handle. Bonus: you’ve got a separate vehicle to drive once you’ve reached your destination – just unhitch and go.
- Are you uncomfortable towing a trailer? Travel trailers are known for requiring a lot of concentration to drive. They tend to sway and tail-wag, which can be extremely disconcerting. Fifth wheels, on the other hand, are extremely stable and driving with one is fairly easy. It’s the perfect solution for those who want a travel trailer but not the hassle that comes with towing one.
- Are you going to drive long distances? As mentioned above, fifth wheels handle a lot better than travel trailers. If you’re going to be on the road for long stretches, this is an important consideration.
- Do you need more storage space? Let’s face it – there’s really no such thing as traveling light in an RV. Fifth wheels have much more storage space – usually below the bathroom – than the average travel trailer. Models in the Grand Design Reflection line also have a large amount of overhead storage throughout the interior.
If you answered “yes” to at least three of these, you’ll most likely be happy with a fifth wheel.