Since the summer is just around the corner, many of us are starting to plan our summer adventures and travels. This will mean that we will be traveling to various destinations usually by using highways. Driving on highways is very different from city driving because on highways you drive at higher speeds and situations develop more quickly.
One of the biggest challenges drivers face is merging. It requires a lot of practice and alertness. For this reason, you need to make sure that you have to be fully alerted and awake when embarking on a trip, or you risk having an accident after which you should contact car accident attorney Miami. Here are some tips to help you to merge more easily and accident free:
1. Watch your speed: don’t enter the highway too fast, but also not too slowly. Ideally, you shouldn’t force anybody to slow down to allow you to enter.
2. Use acceleration lanes whenever possible. Those lanes give you enough time to reach the speed you want in order to appear on the highway safely.
3. Always merge to the right side of the highway first. Don’t be tempted to move to the further lanes straight after joining the highway as your speed might not be adequate to complete this sort of maneuvre.
4. Always remember that you need to give way to the vehicles that are already on the highway. When entering it, observe carefully if it is safe to join. Don’t make any hasty decisions, as they can cost you your life.
5. Use your mirrors often to be aware of the situation on the road. This way you will be better equipped to judge the speed of other vehicles, but you are also more aware of the situation around you.
6. Do not approach too closely the vehicle in front of you. A situation might develop forcing that vehicle to stop suddenly, so give yourself plenty of time to prevent that from happening.